Am I binge eating?
People not only eat when they are hungary but also when they are trying to manage their emotions. How do you know if your eating patterns are considered problematic? If you endorse any of the following, you may have problems with binge eating and should consider getting support.
Binge eating refers to:
1. Eating, in a discrete period of time (for example, within any 2-hour period), an amount of food that is definitely larger than most people would eat in a similar period of time under similar circumstances
2. You experience a lack of control over eating during the episode (for example, a feeling that you cannot stop eating or control what or how much you are eating)
3. Your binge-eating episodes involve some of the following:
- eating much more rapidly than normal
- eating until feeling uncomfortably full
- eating large amounts of food when not feeling physically hungry
- eating alone because of feeling embarrassed by how much one is eating
- feeling disgusted with oneself, depressed, or very guilty afterwards
4. You feel distress regarding your binge eating.
5. You are binge eating several times a month.
Read my blog post about binge eating here.