Do I have low self-esteem?
Everyone feels bad about themselves sometimes. However, how do you know if your self-esteem is problematically low? If you endorse several of the following tendencies, you should consider getting support:
1. Highly self-critical. Do you constantly put yourself down (e.g. I am so lazy or stupid)?
2. Feeling guilt/shame a lot of the time.
3. If you are abusing substances, this is often a sign that your self-esteem is poor.
4. Were your parents critical of you growing up?
5. Did you experience traumas, such as a sexual assault or childhood abuse?
6. Are you uncomfortable receiving compliments?
7. Do you only remember the negative feedback you receive and discount the positive?
Read my blog post about low self-esteem here.