Everyone feels bad about themselves sometimes. However, how do you know if your self-esteem is problematically low? If you endorse several of the following tendencies, you should consider getting support:
1. Highly self-critical. Do you constantly put yourself down (e.g. I am so lazy or stupid)?
2. Feeling guilt/shame a lot of the time.
3. If you are abusing substances, this is often a sign that your self-esteem is poor.
4. Were your parents critical of you growing up?
5. Did you experience traumas, such as a sexual assault or childhood abuse?
6. Are you uncomfortable receiving compliments?
7. Do you only remember the negative feedback you receive and discount the positive?